In this episode of Marketing Tips for Translators we are focusing on machine translation. Is it a threat? How can we best make use of it and develop alongside it? I am very happy to welcome Gwenydd Jones back to the podcast. Gwenydd is a Spanish-English translator and translator trainer and she has previously featured in episodes 19 and 79, so you might know her very well by now!
Important things covered in this episode:
- What’s changing in the world of machine translation?
- Developments in machine translation – a threat to our careers?
- Which industries use MT the most and why
- Strategies we can implement to evolve alongside/make use of machine translation
- Resources for staying informed
- Machine translation – to be embraced or evaded?
Useful links mentioned in this episode:
- Gwenydd’s blog
- The Translator’s Studio
- Anticipating and dealing with complaints – Interview with Gwenydd Jones
- Spanish to English DipTrans preparation course
Links for things I mentioned during the interview on machine translation:
- Your Essential Machine Translation Briefing, webinar on ProZ.com on February 8th
- Gwenydd’s advanced and DipTrans Spanish to English translation course:
- Gwenydd’s blog:
- TAUS (you can sign up for the free quarterly review)
- Slator (free weekly newsletter)
- Common Sense Advisory blog
Personally, I don’t feel particularly threatened by machine translation – at least not yet – but instead I see it as an extra tool in my translation arsenal. What do you listeners think? Please do give me your thoughts in the comments section. Don’t forget to share this episode – and a review on iTunes or Stitcher is always welcome! Thanks, all. Have a great week!
Gwenydd Jones is a freelance Spanish-to-English translator and translator trainer. She has two MAs, the first in Translation Studies and the second in Legal Translation, and the DipTrans (CIOL). With 10 years’ experience, Gwenydd specialises in business, legal and marketing translation, editing and proofreading. You can read her blog and discover her courses for translators at translatorstudio.co.uk.
A special thanks to Catherine Metcalfe for editing the show notes.
This podcast is sponsored by: