Technology is essential when it comes to business fundamentals and as freelance translators, we know how essential it is for our business. Not only do we use computers on a daily basis, but we also use the endless apps and tools available to make it easier to run our business and improve our craft. Today, I am joined by Jost Zetzsche, an ATA-certified English-to-German technical translator and translation technology consultant.
In this episode we discuss the following:
- How Jost has become the go-to when it comes to technology tips and tools for translators tools
- Jost’s guide called “The Translators Toolbox” – and the benefits it provides for freelance translators
- “Tool Box Journal” newsletter for translators to subscribe to learn all the essentials of technology for translators
- Basic tools freelancers need when it comes to technology
- Ways to utilize technology to help our freelance translation business’
- Jost’s marketing strategies that he uses
Useful links mentioned in this episode:
- Convert for Windows
- Translator’s Toolkit
- Translators Toolbox
- “Found in Translation – How Language Shapes Our Lives and Transforms the World” by Jost Zetzsche and Nataly Kelly
By now we all understand how important it is that we take advantage of the technology and tools we have to our disposal as translators. Jost makes it easier to pick and choose what works best for our particular situation, by analyzing and sharing information about the tools. If you enjoyed this episode, please take a moment to share it with your colleagues and leave a super-short review on iTunes or Stitcher. Thank you!
Jost Zetzsche is an ATA-certified English-to-German technical translator, a translation technology consultant, and a widely published author on various aspects of translation. Originally from Hamburg, Germany, he earned a Ph.D. in the field of Chinese translation history and linguistics. His computer guide for translators, A Translator’s Tool Box for the 21st Century, is now in its twelfth edition and his technical newsletter for translators goes out to more than 11,000 translation professionals. In 2012, Penguin published his co-authored Found in Translation, a book about translation and interpretation for the general public. His Twitter handle is @jeromobot.
This podcast is sponsored by:
“ProZ.com: Become a member, clarify your areas of expertise, and benefit, over time, from an ongoing flow of potential new clients.”
Translate faster and smarter using the world’s #1 translation environment – from translation memory productivity tools for the individual translator to project management software for translator teams, from translation management solutions to cloud-based machine translation. Find out more about SDL Trados Studio 2015 from translationzone.com.
Lilt is a translation tool that learns the way you translate. Be more productive in minutes. Try it for free during our public trial period. Find out more at lilt.com