In this episode I am interviewing another one of the guests you have recommended and today we talk about professional associations, how important they are, what associations to join and much more. I interview Gio Lester, an English to Brazilian Portuguese interpreter and translator who gives us useful tips from her nearly 38 years in the business.
Important things covered in this episode:
- Tips for developing your translation and interpretation business
- Why professional associations are so important for us freelance linguists
- What professional associations to join
- How we can best benefit from professional associations
- Cost vs. value for membership in professional associations
Useful links mentioned in this episode:
Gio’s online Event
Remote Simultaneous Interpreting RSI Platforms
Support for ConVTI:
- National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters
- Association of Translators and Interpreters of Florida – ATIF
- Associação Brasileira de Tradutores e Intérpretes – Abrates
- American Translators Association – ATA
My career took off after I joined ATA, and especially after attending the first conference, and I have been an active member ever since. I hope you listeners are also members of professional bodies both in our industry and in your specialization. If not, I recommend you go join one today. It shows professionalism, provides ample opportunities for learning and networking and does pay off.
Giovanna “Gio” Lester has been a translator and interpreter since 1980. In these almost 38 years she has been a language teacher, taught the introductory online module of Legal Translation at Brasillis Idiomas (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), organized international and local professional events, and performed many administrative roles in various professional associations. Gio co-founded the current ATA Florida Chapter, ATIF and served twice as president. Among other things, Gio is a member of the Miami-Dade College Translation and Interpretation Advisory Council, co-Chair of NAJIT’s Public Relations Committee. Her latest project was ConVTI, an online T&I conference held in August.
Wordfinder – the Words you want, anytime, anywhere. Find the right terminology faster and easier with WordFinder, on your computer, via a web browser, smartphone or tablet. Get access to over 120 dictionaries in 15 languages and many different subject areas. Try it free for 30 days at WordFinder.com.