Corinne McKay is the first one to be back on the podcast for a second time. I highly value her business advice and tips for translators, probably because we have so much in common, age, stage in life, life philosophy, child(rens) age, living in the mountains etc. She is a precious colleague and friend. As the author of two books and owner of two online courses for freelance translators, I wanted to pick her brain again on her other course “Beyond the basics of freelancing”, which she launched this spring and is now running for the second time (when we spoke in May). Read on and listen for more marketing tips for more experienced translators, or as I called it “more advanced aspects of marketing freelance translation services”.
In this episode we discuss the following:
- How to find and market to “higher quality” agencies
- How to find and market direct clients
- Money matters for freelance translators
- Business management – we are business owners, not just freelancers
- Mindset and progress plans
- What students do in Corinne’s course
- What Corinne’s students discuss during the conference calls and their individual consulting session
- How to make the first contact with a potential client
Useful links mentioned in this episode:
- The course “Beyond the Basics of Freelancing”
- The book “How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator”
- The book “Thoughts on Translation”
- Jonathan Hine’s pamphlet “I am Worth It – How to Set Your Price and Other Tips for Freelancers
Thank you for listening and for your support. I could have continued this interview much longer for all the valuable tips and insights. What tip did you like the best? Here is a task for you too. Since most people only post on PaymentPractices, Proz.com Blueboard and similar lists, I ask you to go to these resources and post a high rating for some of your favorite clients too. You would be helping the service, the client and most importantly, other translators. Another task is to go to iTunes or Stitcher and leave an honest review of the podcast. It would keep me motivated, encourage me to improve and most importantly spread the podcast to even more listeners. Thank you again and best of luck with your translation marketing and business.
Corinne McKay is an ATA director and an ATA-certified French>English translator. She translates in the areas of international development, corporate communications, and law, and is the author of two books for freelance translators-How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator and Thoughts on Translation.
This podcast is a labor of love and brought to you free of charge. If you enjoy this series and would like to show your support, please consider making a small donation to ensure I can keep offering you great content in the future.